WHY SHOULD I GET TESTED FOR EXPOSURE TO MERCURY?
Mercury is an element in the earth’s crust. Pure Mercury is a liquid metal that volatizes easily. Mercury has traditionally been used to make products like thermometers, switches and some light bulbs. Mercury can also be found in many rocks including coal. Burning coal releases Mercury into the environment. According to the EPA, coal-burning power plants are the largest human-caused source of Mercury emissions to the air in the United States. Burning hazardous wastes, producing chlorine, breaking Mercury products, and spilling Mercury, as well as the improper treatment and disposal of products or wastes containing Mercury, can also release it into the environment.
Mercury compounds are manufactured in small amounts for uses such as chemical and pharmaceutical applications. Larger quantities of these compounds are generated as byproducts from pollution control activities at gold mines or in waste.
WHAT IS THE PRICE FOR A MERCURY EXPOSURE LAB TEST?
*Price may vary by location – contact your local ANY LAB TEST NOW
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET MY LAB TEST RESULTS?
Test results are generally available within five (5) business days after your specimen is collected.
HOW COULD I GET EXPOSED TO MERCURY, AND WHAT ARE THE DANGERS?
Mercury in the air settles into water or onto land where it can be washed into water. Once deposited microorganisms can change it into Methyl Mercury, a highly toxic compound that builds up in fish, shellfish and animals that eat fish. Fish and shellfish are the main sources of Methyl Mercury exposure to humans. For this reason, if you decide to test for Mercury, you should abstain from seafood for at least two days prior to testing.
Occupational exposure to Mercury in the workplace can also occur. Here are some top work activities that may put you at risk for exposure:
- Working with dental amalgams that contain Mercury
- Working in Power plants
- Gold mining
- Manufacturing medical equipment
- Applying Pesticides
Exposure to Mercury can cause:
- Toxicity to the nervous system
- Harmful effects on the digestive and immune systems
- Inorganic salts of mercury are corrosive to the skin, eyes and gastrointestinal tract, and may induce kidney toxicity if ingested
- Tremors, insomnia, memory loss
WHY DO I NEED TO BE TESTED FOR MERCURY EXPOSURE?
Exposure to Mercury can have very serious consequences for your body, and you may not know right away if you have been exposed. If you live in an area where you might have been exposed to environmental Mercury, you may decide to choose this test. Children and pregnant women are especially vulnerable to Mercury.
Employers also monitor their employees for exposure, whether required by OSHA or as a way of establishing a baseline measurement before a candidate is hired.
Find out now if you’ve been exposed to Mercury.
OTHER RELEVANT TESTS:
Customers that choose the Mercury Test may decide to upgrade to the Heavy Metals Panel or to add in general health overview tests such as the Comprehensive Male Panel or the Comprehensive Female Panel.
|Mercury: ≤20 mcg/L|
|Toxic: ≥150 mcg/L|
HIGH RESULTS MAY INDICATE:
High levels could indicate Mercury poisoning.
LOW RESULTS MAY INDICATE:
Low results may indicate exposure to Mercury.
WHAT TYPE OF PHYSICIAN SHOULD I SEE?
If your results are ‘abnormal’ or ‘out of range’ from the normal, please contact your pimary care physician.
There are no reviews yet.