The Zinc Test is a blood test that measures the level of zinc in the blood.
AM I REQUIRED TO FAST FOR THIS LAB TEST?
WHAT IS THE PRICE OF A ZINC DEFICIENCY OR TOXICITY LAB TEST?
*Price may vary by location – contact your local ANY LAB TEST NOW®
WHAT IS A ZINC DEFICIENCY OR ZINC TOXICITY LAB TEST FOR?
Zinc is an important mineral that is used by the body for immune function which protects us from infections and disease, wound healing, normal taste and smell and DNA synthesis including cell growth, division and reproduction. During pregnancy, childhood and adolescence zinc supports normal growth and development for fetuses and children. Although zinc is important for critical bodily functions, and can be obtained through diet or supplementation, extremely high levels of zinc in the body are very dangerous and can lead to zinc poisoning. Zinc is also present in many common household cleaning and paint or dye products.
WHY DO I NEED TO BE TESTED FOR ZINC DEFICIENCY OR TOXICITY?
Have you been exposed to excess zinc through household products or excess zinc supplementation?
Zinc poisoning can be extremely dangerous and can be life-threatening. Overexposure can occur with prolonged use or exposure to some common household products such as paints, varnishes, rust-removers, metals, cleaners and solvents. Consumption of a diet high in zinc or taking too high a dose of zinc supplements can also lead to zinc poisoning. Acute zinc overdose, consuming more than 40 mg, can cause nausea, vomiting and severe abdominal pain within 30 minutes. Lethargy and dizziness are also common.
Symptoms of zinc poisoning include seizures and convulsions, vomiting, fever, aches and pains, shock, fainting, low blood pressure, a persistent taste of metal or the inability to urinate. If you suspect that your use of household products or consumption of supplements have put you at risk, you should be tested immediately because zinc poisoning can be fatal. Not getting treated can lead to long term complications:
- Brain damage
- Organ failure
- Unconsciousness and coma
Zinc poisoning can be treated by medical professionals by stabilizing breathing and circulation and attempting to remove zinc from the body by consuming large amounts of milk or water, or performing a stomach “wash” or lavage to clear any zinc from the stomach.
HIGH RESULTS INDICATE:
High results may indicate overexposure to zinc through common household materials and products or over consumption of zinc supplements.
LOW RESULTS INDICATE:
Low results may indicate zinc deficiency.
WHAT TYPE OF PHYSICIAN SHOULD I SEE IF MY TEST RESULTS ARE ABNORMAL OR OUT OF RANGE?
You should see your primary care physician or an emergency room physician.